No. of Recommendations: 2
I read the CNBC article and confused about the problem that Robert Thayer is attempting to solve. It is not the income inequality problem that many economists and pundits think needs to be address for a more stable economy.

Unless Congress passes some law that requires all employers to provide 401(k) plans to all employees, it doesn't address the retirement needs of working class Americans. (Notus bene: I prefer the European definitions to that used by US politicians. If you're not an owner of a business, at or above your employer's middle management level, or in the top fifth of the income spectrum; you are working class.) Some working class Americans are covered by 401(k) plans but the majority aren't.

So, Robert Thayer's proposal seems to be a plan that benefits those that don't really need an extra $700-$!500 per month when they reach 85 or some earlier designated age. Does it really make sense to withdraw $150,000 or $250,000 from a 401(k )and transfer it to Social Security in order to get a slightly higher monthly payment when you claim retirement benefits?

I could use $125,000 in my current traditional IRA account and buy a Qualified Longevity Annuity Contract (QLAC). It would reduce my RMD withdrawals but not appreciably. Nor does it substantially reduce my taxes as the annuity produces taxable income.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.