No. of Recommendations: 2
I read this board every day just because of threads like this.

I find myself in an early retirement situation for medical reasons and expect to draw medical benefits for about 2 more years. I am 51 years of age. When this occured to me about 8 months ago I had a portfolio of
100% stock mutual funds I immediately sold 85% and put into MM and Penfed CD's. My plan is to increase my stocks holdings to 25% as market conditions allow. The tricky part as discussed here is to
reduce my MM exposure and lock in rates. Since half my money is in
401k/Roth Fidelity, buying brokerage CD's are not that inviting.

Funds held DODBX, FLPSX, DODFX, BRKB.

I like Lokicious see that we can limit our risk and still be just fine. We have enough to make it work for our lifestyle by earning 5.25%.
I based that on 3% inflation. So real return beyond inflation only needs to be 2.25%. Even though I am counting on some Social Security I did reduce it by 50% just to increase the margin of safety.

Reading other posters like Lokicous helps reasure me that others are thinking along the same lines. My investment in PenFed was a direct result of this board. TIPs are on my hit list.

I am generally just a reader of these post but I just wanted to share a little and to thank Lokicious, and others for all the helpful discussion.

Pappy
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.