Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I realize this is a rather old posting, but maybe you will go back to check it.

I am an American who went to grad school in London (LSE). Since my university was considered an "eligible institution," I was able to take out $18,500 (ouch!) in Stafford Loans to cover most of the cost of my education. There is some U.S.-U.K. reciprocal agreement which helps students be eligible for student aid from their own country while studying in the host country.

First, and most importantly, find out if your university is considered an eligible institution (it probably is).

Second, fill out the FAFSA. Don't freak out when your FAFSA is returned without your university being listed (eligible overseas institutions don't have codes or the number given you by the university may not work). It's OK.

Third, get Stafford Loan application forms from the following organization, fill them out, have your university sign it, then mail them in:

http://www.educaid.com/loans/loanchti.htm

Fourth, either pick up the check from your university, or have it mailed to you (I think you specify on the Stafford Loan forms).

Fifth, get your degree, get a great job, but hate your student loan debt!

p.s. Have you checked out the British Council websites?
Print the post  

Announcements

Paying For School Guide
Trying to Tackle Tuition? The Motley Fool's Guide to Paying for School will help you fight those rising education costs.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.