Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I really appreciate everyone's help. I have another couple of questions...

First, I got his income wrong. It was actually just under $6100. Does that make a difference?

If he refiles his taxes as they are and she does NOT file an amended return, then what happens? Because she says she won't re-file. (She's already gotten her refund, which would have included EIC.)

I actually convinced him to go with the most liberal definition of lived with, the 8 months she was his guardian, but he needs her SSN to file his state return. (Trying to get everyone to compromise here!!!)

She won't give him her SSN. (Well, she won't give it to me because she doesn't want him to have it.) She'll file his taxes for him but not let him keep a copy of his return with her SSN on it. (I know he will not agree to give her his W-2's and other info, anyway. I had to argue with him to get him to agree to check the box that someone else can claim him.)

So, he can file without checking the box that he can be claimed by someone else, which is technically right since he only lived there for 5 months. But she said that she'll say he lived there if the IRS asks.

She also said that because he didn't have permission to have a job on the books until he turned 18 (and therefore worked for 3-ish months under the table) that if the IRS comes after her that she will say he lived there AND she'll get him in trouble for working under the table. (Seems like if he was her responsibility that would come back on her, too. I imagine it would mostly screw his employer. He had this job for a couple of weeks while he was still living with her, not just after he left.)

What should I tell him to do now? Suck it up and give her his W-2's? File his return on paper the same way he originally e-filed? Do something on his return with the cash he earned? (I don't even know how that works, but it would put his income back up over $6100 and she wouldn't be able to get him in trouble.)

I really appreciate you guys helping me with this!!! I'm trying to help him, but before I tell him what she said to me, I need to know what his best course of action is. I am sooooooo not cut out for all of this drama!!!

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.