Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I really don't know why you can't work it out, it's fairly obvious really, but we all have to start somewhere, even if it is with basic maths.

Select your timeframe, I have read of 12 months, 13 months and 18 months all being suggested examples.
Get the value of the relevant index from the Fin Review on the start date, subtract it from the value of that index on the finish date and work out the percentage change. I would use the relevant accumulation index.
Then take the dollar value of your investment on the start date from dollar value on finish date including all dividends & reinvestments - work out the percentage change. Compare the 2 returns to see which is better.
The relevant index for comparison will be obvious from the selection criteria.Possibly 20 or 50 leaders or the ASX100 maybe even the AllOrds.

I would suggest you should read anything about investing you can get your hands on. In my opinion Personal Investor magazine is a very good place to start.
Sorry for being a bit abrupt, but it appears to me that you are trying to run before you can crawl.
In investment you should aim to understand what you are doing and why. Feel free to fire more questions.

Good luck - Barcoo
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.