Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I really have no idea how US Medicare works, we of course call our system Medicare as well. Can you pay the bills and claim it?

Nope.

In general, health care you get while traveling outside the U.S. isn't covered. The 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, and American Samoa are considered part of the U.S.

Medicare may pay for inpatient hospital, doctor, ambulance services, or dialysis you get in a foreign country in these rare cases:

-You're in the U.S. when a medical emergency occurs, and the foreign hospital is closer than the nearest U.S. hospital that can treat your medical condition.

-You're traveling through Canada without unreasonable delay by the most direct route between Alaska and another state when a medical emergency occurs, and the Canadian hospital is closer than the nearest U.S. hospital that can treat the emergency.

-You live in the U.S. and the foreign hospital is closer to your home than the nearest U.S. hospital that can treat your medical condition, regardless of whether an emergency exists.

https://www.medicare.gov/coverage/travel-need-health-care-ou...

Many Americans that live in Canada buy health insurance. I just have no reason to know anything about it. I read somewhere that if you live in Ontario more than 3 months you qualify for a health card, once again I'm uninformed of details.

I'm at the wrong end of the actuarial table. Private health insurance would be expensive and become progressively more exorbitant the older I get. I paid in to Medicare for 40 years. Of course, if the "leaders and statesmen" in DC cut Medicare reimbursements so far, to pay for trickle down tax cuts, that it becomes impossible to find anyone who will take Medicare, than that 40 years of payments into the system become a write-off.

It seems that, living in Canada, paying Canadian taxes on my mid 5 figure income from SS and stock dividends, should qualify me for the national health plan.

Steve
Print the post  

Announcements

This is a Politics Free Board
Politically charged posts are not permitted on the Metar Board. If you make a political post, and it is alerted, the post will be removed. Thanks!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.