Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
I received a 1098-T from school, where I am enrolled as a graduate student part-time.

My employer offers a tuition reimbursement program, where they pay a % of the tuition costs, and I pay a % of the tuition costs.

In preparing my taxes, how do I account for this?

1. Ignore the 1098-T and work from your own financial records.

2. If you don't know whether your employer's reimbusement is taxable income to you, find out.

3. If the reimbursement is taxable, treat the expenses the same as if you had paid them without reimbursement.

4. You must make an allocation of expenses to reflect nontaxable reimbursements. Double-dipping is not allowed. See the chapter in IRS Publication 970 pertinent to the tax benefit you're pursuing.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.