Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
I received Kyosaki's RDPD book as a gift from my future mother in law, and in all honesty, I thought that it brought out a lot of good points about what keeps people financially ignorant and poor. But I also thought that it was too "glitzy" and made everything sound way too easy, which was a real red flag.

I'm glad others here have mentioned it, but my interest in how one would imitate what Kyosaki describes in his book actually led me to an internet search on real estate, and I came across John's very negative online review site for real-estate "gurus" soon after reading it. Ouch!

In terms of using the book as a way to get rich using real estate, I have to agree with John on most of his points. There's a bit of ad hominem attack in the review, no-doubt provoked by the sheer audacity and bragging RDPD is chock full of.

I wouldn't recommend buying it as a guide to getting rich, but it does a very good job of outlining the differences in the attitudes of those who stuggle with money all of their lives, and those who use money to achieve goals. For the inquisitive reader with a lot of time on their hands, it does provide a jumping off point for you to do your own investigations. Many of the things mentioned in the book were new to me (such as a 1031 exchange), and being Foolish, I had to check them out for myself.

RDPD should NOT be read in isolation, nor used as a guidebook to becoming wealthy, but it is entertaining, and will probably at least get you thinking about your own attitudes (religious or otherwise) towards money, wealth, and social status.

I would HIGHLY recommend that anyone go and get "The Richest Man in Babylon", which is mentioned in some of Kyosaki's tapes. It's a great book, and belongs on any Fool's shelf. Although one gets the impression that Robert actually really cares about educating the masses about getting out of the "Rat Race", he's not selfless enough to make it low-cost. His "CashFlow" game costs about 6-10 times as much as a regular Monopoly game.

Thanks for reading.

Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.