Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 3
I recently moved my company sponsored 401k into a rollover ira (I left the company). Somehow, out of the roughly 100k, about 2k of the money was already taxed and didn't qualify to go into the ira. Instead, Fidelity put that into a cash account.

I think this occurred ...

Here's my guess how. Someone--I mention no names and make no charges--didn't pay close attention to plan statements and separation instructions about options for this money. But anyway,

So my question is, can I actually withdraw this money without the worries of paying additional taxes or a penalty (assuming it doesn't change my tax bracket)?

If it hasn't been 60 days since the check was cut to Fidelity you can still roll that money into your traditional IRA. You'd then track the after-tax part on Form 8606, Part I. Just mentioning this because up until now it was retirement money, so it's not really found money.

OTOH, it's already been taxed, so it won't be taxed again, and there's no penalty. Bon voyage!

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.