Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I recently needed to send some money an old school chum that was in a financial bind. I investigated Western Union to see if it was as bad as I remembered. The fees were outrageous. And the time lag was horrible, unless I was willing to pay something like a $60 wire fee. I don't know why anyone would use them.

I never had to pay that high a fee for sending money by Western Union. The problem I had with sending money any other way was that my friend was frequently homeless, or living in a condemned abandoned building, and therefore had no legal address, and no bank account, and no credit card. And any ID gets stolen, so how do you send her money for the $50 or whatever it is these days for a new photo-id for someone who does not drive so does not even have a license.

Here is a recent transfer. I probably used Master Card. If I used Visa, they would have added $25 and started charging the interest immediately.

Payment
Credit card ending in ...
Delivery
Cash at WU agent location
Money available: In minutes
Summary
Transfer amount
30.00 USD
Transfer fee
+ 6.50 USD
Total
36.50 USD
Total to receiver
30.00 USD

Perhaps Western Union would charge more if it were outside the country. In the above case, it was in another state.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.