No. of Recommendations: 1
I recently read an article (can't remember where now) on holiday/gift spending. According to the "expert" one should budget approximately 2% of their annual income for gifts (I assume they mean pre-tax.) Then, 80% of this total should be earmarked for the holidays, with the other 20% going toward birthday, anniversary, and other special occasion gifts throughout the year.

With this formula, I came just slightly under budget. I'm a recently-converted Fool and still wrestling with creating a reasonable budget I can follow. This at least gives me a rule to work with for those gifts that always seem to sneak up on me and reap havoc on my budget.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.