Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 5
I recently received a life insurance death benefit check, and I'm looking for some advice. My first question is: is this money taxable at the federal or state (PA) level? The best answer I've found online so far is that only the interest it earned ($19) is taxable. However, the info I've found is quite dated.

Probably because the law hasn't changed since the Earth cooled. The death benefit is not taxable at the Federal level. See IRS Publication 525. I doubt that it's taxable in PA, but you'll have to check the state instructions. Check in the "Additions to Federal AGI" section.

Beyond that, I'm looking for advice on what kind of account to put it in. Although I'm aggressive with my 401k, I don't want to risk this money in the stock market. I know interest rates are terrible on savings accounts, money market accounts and CDs right now. Are there other options?

Here's my take, which is 100% personal opinion. This is found money with a sentimental twist, at least for me. When I've been in this situation I've done something with the money that I think the person whose death triggered it would approve of. My best friend and I had talked for years about a Transatlantic crossing on a ship. When he died and left me some money, that's what I did, raising more than one glass to his memory in the process.

That's me. From a strictly practical standpoint, this money is no different from any other. Invest it in accordance with your asset allocation.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.