Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
I recently received an invite to subscribe to George Gilder's Technology Report. At first I put it aside with all the other stock report subscription invites (junk mail). But then when I read it, it seemed very interesting to me.

Does anyone know who George Gilder is and whether or not he is reputable at what he does? I would appreciate any advise.

Short answer: spend the $300.

Long answer: Gilder is the author of Wealth and Poverty, one of the "Reagan Revolution" books that came out in the early 1980s. He is friends with the likes of Art Laffer and Jude Wanniski and has similar views. Somewhere along the line, he started a newsletter relating to the technological revolution he refers to as the "telecosm." Nominally, the newsletter does not pick stocks, it highlights companies that have technologies Gilder believes are important. QCOM was one of his picks long before it hit big; as a result, Gilder has received lots of good press and his following has increased to the point where there is now a "Gilder Effect" -- stocks placed on his list often double or triple on the news. As a place for DD, GTR is a good investment. As a place for stock tips, it is a big rip off since Gilder gets to ignore market metrics by claiming that he only puts technology on the list, not stocks; i.e., Gllder claims wins but ignores losses (e.g., GSTRF, GBLX, MOT, etc.) This is a bunch of BS -- the newsletter is marketed, in part, based upon how much the prices of certain stocks have increased since being placed on the list. Anyway, I view my subscription as money well spent even though the fact that some company got added to Gilder's list does not impress me all that much.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.