No. of Recommendations: 3
I remember when minimum wage paid enough so that a couple, each working full time for min wage, could afford an ordinary decent apartment in an ordinary decent town. Ah, the 70s... when full-time work was prevalent even for people making minimum wage.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
West Palm also plays Raining Tacos to deter the homeless, a song I never heard of nor heard before. You might recognize the chord progression from the famous Pachelbel Canon(!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npjF032TDDQ

OMG, I have new earworm =8-0
Think you don't know the Pachelbel Canon? Think again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFfYGoVstgc

I remember the first time I heard it--on Robt J Lurtsema's program on WBUR in Boston. I was living in a drafty rented duplex, pregnant w/my first child, and it made me cry. In fact, I'm a little misty right now listening to it. Back in the 70s it became very popular wedding music (not me--baroque too late, I had Renaissance music ;-)

Amazingly enough, I never played this except by myself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johann_Pachelbel
No. of Recommendations: 2
As a parent of two kids under 10, I unfortunately am familiar with both of those songs.

What I do not understand is where the city thinks the homeless will go? Out of sight, out of mind?

c
Play them all in the White House....
What I do not understand is where the city thinks the homeless will go? Out of sight, out of mind?

To a less musical town?

Alstro's plan for the homeless crisis:

(1) Identify who's down on their luck and provide housing, GED program, job training, internships, day care, health care, whatever's needed to get them on their feet again.

(2) Identify the mentally ill and provide in-facility care, then outpatient care + housing, hopefully most can eventually resume ordinary life.

(3) Identify addicts and get them treatment. Maybe their families/friends can help pick up the pieces afterwards.

(4) Identify those with conditions like autism/learning disabilities/low IQ and provide housing (or hook them back up w/their families or move into a nursing home or similar if necessary), job training for those under 60 who can manage it, and suitable work.
I was just trying to sing Raining Tacos...

Tacos--covered with cheese,
Tacos! I'm down on my knees...

And was surprised that these words are not in the song ;-)

=alstro, channeling my inner first grader
No. of Recommendations: 0
They will go somewhere where the music doesn’t play...maybe to your house cattleman. :)
What I do not understand is where the city thinks the homeless will go?

I favor the equitable distribution of the homeless. There should be as many homeless in wealthy areas as the poorer ones.

The homeless problem is more likely to get fixed if decision makers are dealing with it on their own doorstep.

intercst
I've noticed that the new buzzword around here is "workforce housing". The city is only permitting projects where a certain number of units are priced within the reach of "workers".

https://shelterforce.org/2014/10/06/workforce-housing-is-an-...

intercst
I remember when minimum wage paid enough so that a couple, each working full time for min wage, could afford an ordinary decent apartment in an ordinary decent town. Ah, the 70s... when full-time work was prevalent even for people making minimum wage.
<<What I do not understand is where the city thinks the homeless will go?

I favor the equitable distribution of the homeless. There should be as many homeless in wealthy areas as the poorer ones.

The homeless problem is more likely to get fixed if decision makers are dealing with it on their own doorstep.

intercst>>

intercst always seems to have an appetite for political solutions that aren't going to happen.

Seattle Pioneer
<<I remember when minimum wage paid enough so that a couple, each working full time for min wage, could afford an ordinary decent apartment in an ordinary decent town. Ah, the 70s... when full-time work was prevalent even for people making minimum wage.
>>

Before the floods of immigrants that soaked up the comfortable surplus of housing that existed in most cities and began a merciless and endless demand for more housing, which a lot of environmentalists and others opposed.

Seattle Pioneer
aalstroeP: West Palm also plays Raining Tacos to deter the homeless, a song I never heard of nor heard before. You might recognize the chord progression from the famous Pachelbel Canon(!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npjF032TDDQ</io>

You are evil.

CNC
Alstroe: Think you don't know the Pachelbel Canon? Think again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFfYGoVstgc

Late night classical DJ here tries to limit this to one playing a year. Calls it "IT".

CNC

c

They just want them to go somewhere else. Nebbermind where.

CNC
... I remember you from a few years ago (on LOOPT?). I think you have mellowed in the interim.
Alstr's plan: (2) Identify the mentally ill and provide in-facility care, then outpatient care + housing, hopefully most can eventually resume ordinary life.

There is such a place in San Pedro, but the "tenants" won't stay there. Couple of days (and a coupla of meals) and they're off. Don't like any regimentation whatsoever.

They go down the street and camp out in front of the Post Office.

CNC
The mentally ill are the most difficult of the homeless folks.

THere was a good episode of House about this...somebody's brother...Wilson?--was seriously mentally ill, refusing medication and insisting upon living on the street despite Wilson's offer of paying for a nice place to live. Perhaps there's some level of fear of confinement (being inside walls)? Sort of the opposite of agoraphobia, fear of being out in public.

When I'm feeling down, I have to fight the urge to stay in the house all day, away from both people and responsibilities, insisting to myself that I must do an errand, and that as long as I'm out, I might as well go on a nice walk as well. I can empathize with failing to win that fight, failing to get out, and having that happen day after day, especially if you have no responsibilities (eg, if I want to eat, I have to shop for food...although these days people can opt for delivery. That doesn't interest me as I want to get out more...improves my mood!)

On another board (LBYM?) someone mentioned that Aldi's has a greater selection of the kinds of foods I might buy these days. I might make Aldi's my excuse to get out today, even though stores and walks will be crowded on the weekend.
Just remember to take a quarter to get a cart.....I have Aldi’s and Lidl....I prefer Lidl but it’s much further away. They are okay for quick stops but really I eat low carb and I have enough tools and what not to not buy their cheap stuff. I bought some kitty treats at Aldi’s and the cat would never eat them....goodness knows what was in them.

I like making major grocery haul and being done with it for the week/week and 1/2. My main store that I go to is Wal Mart. Multiple stops wears me out and eats up gas. The only exception to this is Costco but that’s further away but I will buy some bulk items there. I’ve noticed Costco has raised their prices on some of the items I buy....and I can buy them cheaper at Wal Mart. I still keep a price books for you LBYM types out there.

Lucky Dog
Alstro: On another board (LBYM?) someone mentioned that Aldi's has a greater selection of the kinds of foods I might buy these days.

The closest Aldi's 15 miles from us. Never go there.

CNC
If I had to sum up most posts I read about anything political on any of these message boards across the innerwebs, I would have to say this pretty much would be it. As a prime example, I seem to recall somebody recently posting that the borders should be closed to any immigration, legal or not, until further notice...

[insert name of any person posting political nonsense on a board called RETIRE EARLY] ... ...always seems to have an appetite for political solutions that aren't going to happen.

Seattle Pioneer
""I remember you from a few years ago (on LOOPT?). I think you have mellowed in the interim. ""

I was on these boards for many years. I found social media was not good for my temperament. It brought out the worst in me at that point. A few things have changed for me since then, so I am testing myself. I still fail more than I hoped. But I do think I am much more mellow now.

c
""There is such a place in San Pedro, but the "tenants" won't stay there. Couple of days (and a coupla of meals) and they're off. Don't like any regimentation whatsoever.""

We when lived in MD, our church ran a homeless shelter in Baltimore. Helping to provide these types of services to help with mental illness helped some, but not all.

I don't think homelessness can be "solved" 100% because some (a small percent) people defaulted to living that way, at least during the warmer months. However, there are many homeless who can be helped and just need to the right assistance to get back on their feet.

c