Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
[[I resigned from my job on 7/31/98 to becomed a full-time "investor". I work at
this all day, every day, and have probably made over 200 trades since then. I'm
also now paying my own medical insurance.

Can I deduct the insurance under the self-employed deduction area...since I am
very much self-employed? One issue is that I have no regular income to report
as a result of these activities, only dividends and cap gains/losses, and the
Turbotax worksheet doesn't allow for this.]]

Most likely not. If you do what most taxpayers try, you will run your expenses under Schedule C, but treat your trades as Sch D, and then avoid the SE taxes on your gains. But since you don't have any profit in your Sch C, you can't take the SE health insurance deduction.

The "business" end of trading can get pretty tricky. You might want to check out the Fairmark tax site ( for an additiona discussion on taxes and trading.

TMF Taxes
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.