Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 3
I rolled over last December a small 401K account from a previous employer into a rollover IRA, and then to a Roth IRA. I assume I have to pay taxes on the amount rolled over into the Roth IRA. Where on the 1040 form do I have to add this amount? Am I supposed to wait to get a form from the investment firm where I had my 401K?

No. You should by now have a 1099-R from the custodian of the traditional IRA that you converted to Roth. You report this in Part II of Form 8606, which flows to line 15 of the 1040.

Report the 401(k) to traditional IRA rollover on line 16 of the 1040. You may or may not get a 1099-R from the 401(k).

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.