Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I sat for 2 hours one on one with a woman who's been knitting for 40 years and can't remember a thing she showed me.

2 hours would be about an hour and fifty minutes too long for me. I took a mini-basket weaving class once (I mean mini-baskets, made from waxed linen.), and the teacher was so facile, so fast, so talented that it was brain-numbing to watch her. Worse, in the midst of my frustration, she stood behind me where I sat, and actually guided my hands, the thread, and the pokey tool to show me how to do it. I could feel my initial frustration reach the point of overwhelmed tears. I didn't cry, but I was right there at the brink. At that point, all is lost. I asked her to stop, but she wanted to keep showing me how to do it. So I repeated myself and she backed off. I think she was frustrated too, because she was being paid to teach this little class, and really wanted to share her skills and knowledge. And itty-bitty basket kits for a hefty sum, too...

Small bites. A little bite, a little learning, repeat, repeat. At your own pace. Keep the frustrattion pot from boiling over. A little simmer is good. Can you do one knitting stitch? If you can do that, then what happens? Is it a memory thing or an awkwardness thing? Or something else?

greet.
Just itching to be helpful. Or a PITA, whichever comes first.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.