Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 5
I saw a chart the other day which was pretty awesome, I can't find it but you can imagine or draw it yourself.

It started in 1950 or 1952 [not important], and it was the S+P compounding at 10% [or 9.5% whatever] a year. So imagine this straight line from lower left to upper right.

There were only THREE times there was a big divergence from the line, can you guess what they were? I bet you can!

1974 -- way below the line.

2000 -- way above the line.

2009 -- way below the line.

That's it! It fits perfectly with Eugene Fama's 'Cheat a little' comment when it comes to indexing. On average, like every 2 decades or so since the 50s, the market goes really, really crazy.
1987 Crash isn't even a blip on the market trend line, again, as most of you probably know.

And I think we can all agree these 3 instances were not hard to see the valuation extremes in real-time. If you just bought profitable, growing firms in 2009 [as opposed to value traps like Sears] you did fantastic. No need to buy Amazon or Netflix or etc.

I always say my biggest miss then was probably Starbucks, which you could have bought under $3.25 [in 2008 and 2009] and now pays $1.44 a year in dividends alone. That would be an amazing return before noticing the stock is now $71.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.