Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I saw Amy Stewart's "Kopp Sisters on the March" at our local library and was intrigued enough to grab it off the 'new releases' shelf and read it... and liked it quite a bit. Then I went back and read the series, admiring her mix of fiction and fact. Book six in the series will be published in January. A daughter is a big Seanan McQuire fan so I read some of her books so we could discuss the author and genre.

I think Donoghue is a fine writer and plan to read more of her works. I'm surprised I had missed her novels. I'll give her short stories a try. Funny, I just picked up a signed copy of "Astray" a week ago. My favorite short story writers are probably John Cheever (although he's fallen out of favor) and Alice Munro. I've read most of the 'Top 100' novels and I guess what I've been reading this year is a real hodge podge, some novels filling in blanks of 'fine literature' that I missed along the way (the Stegner, Greene, Roth, and Vonnegut titles), newer literature (Russo, Lerner, Donoghue, and McBride), and plain old escapism (Box, Child), mysteries (the Louise Penny 'Gamache' books have been a joy to read), and titles I've seen on the NYT books pages.

For anyone who's interested in a well-written page turner, "Wildland" by Rebecca Hodge is a very compelling read and was a pleasant surprise, especially in light of the wild fires burning out west.

I'll add your suggestions to my 'to read' list. Thanks.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.