Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
I saw in the news this winter I believe it was two suppliers of some of the ingredients of the talc filed for bankruptcy which may leave JNJ holding the bag more so to speak.
-----------------------------
Realistically, I doubt that the suppliers' bankruptcy filings will change much. J&J has the deepest pockets to put at risk in a lawsuit, compared to them, I am sure. And J&J has product liability insurance coverage of some sort.

And my crystal ball suggests to me that they do have some serious exposure, from internal documents produced to date in the discovery process. Apparently it's been known for a long time that talc deposits are found in rock formations that may also include one or more kinds of asbestos. I've learned a lot reading about this in recent months, and didn't know before that the term asbestos includes six different types of silicates. Or that talc was ground up to use for face powder as far back as ancient Roman times.

Apparently J&J knew that their baby powder had some asbestos in it as far back as the 1950s or 1960s, but the direct link to cancer wasn't clearly established at the time. So we'll see.

Bill
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.