No. of Recommendations: 3
I say this with an obvious bias as my wife is a pharmacist.

But, I don't think that local pharmacies going the way of local bookstores is a good thing. Pharmacists have far more contact with patients than any other medical professional. While they can not diagnose, they it is fairly common for patients to come into the pharmacy with symptoms or conditions that require more urgent medical care. It is the lowest barrier of entry for patients to see a health care professional. Most pharmacists have doctorates now.

Another issue is that flue vaccination is woefully short in the US. Having 90%+ of the US population vaccinated annually would likely save more lives per year than just about any other medical intervention. With the loss of local pharmacies, one of the major sources of flue vaccination is gone. If Amazon results in the loss of most local pharmacies, it is entirely possible that tens of thousands of people will die due to decreased flu vaccinations.

c
Print the post  

Announcements

This is a Politics Free Board
Politically charged posts are not permitted on the Metar Board. If you make a political post, and it is alerted, the post will be removed. Thanks!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.