No. of Recommendations: 11
I searched on his site for a while and found three Acrobat files. I saved one of them, and didnt save the other two. I cant remember what the other two were (it was a couple of days ago), but I know I already had similar things to them. This one below was just too good to pass up though.

Prestone

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

The 12 Cardinal Mistakes Of Commodity Trading
...AND HOW TO OVERCOME THEM

By Walter Bressert

1. Lack of a Game Plan.
2. Lack of Money Management
3. Failure to Use Protective Stop Loss Orders
4. Taking Small Profits and Letting Your Losses Run
5. Overstaying Your Position
6. Averaging a Loss
7. Meeting Margin Calls
8. Increasing Your Commitment With Success
9. Overtrading Your Account
10. Failure to Remove Profits From Your Account
11. Changing Your Strategy During Market Hours
12. Lack of Patience (Or Trading for the Excitement, Not for
Profit)

INTRODUCTION

Tremendous amounts of money can be made in commodities markets. While profits are
there for the making, this is not a book to tell you how to make money, but how to avoid
losing money. In the decade I have been trading commodities, I have made every possible
mistake at least three times. The most common mistakes are what I call the 12
CARDINAL MISTAKES OF TRADING COMMODITIES. Each is listed in this
booklet with solutions to help you avoid repeating these mistakes time and time again.
Walter Bressert
Tucson, Arizona

SELF-DISCIPLINE
It has been my experience in trading commodities that the greatest cause of loss is lack of
self- discipline--lack of self-discipline to follow your game plan; lack of self-discipline to
be patient; lack of self-discipline to take a loss or profit, lack of discipline to follow proven
money management concepts. The list can go on and on

FEAR AND GREED
With the tremendous leverage commodities offer, you as a commodity trader, are
frequently exposed to the basic emotions of fear and greed. At certain times in your
trading career these emotions can make you completely and absolutely irrational, oblivious
to what is really happening. It can make you rely on hope; hope that the market will do
what you want it to do because it must! Otherwise, you will lose all of your risk capital
and sometimes much more. Not surprisingly, that doesn't matter to the markets.

DANGER OF SUCCESS
Each time I made one of these 12 CARDINAL MISTAKES, I promised myself that I would
not repeat the same mistake, but as I was once again successful, as I made money, I
invariably became overconfident, sloppy, and “dangerous”. You are most likely to make
these same mistakes when you are making money, not losing it. After several losses, you
naturally tighten your discipline and become more conservative, or lose all of your risk
capital. Following several losses you are likely to lose the least amount of money on a
trade.

OVERCONFIDENCE
It is following a string of profitable trades that you are most likely to lose large amounts of
money. If you began trading with $30,000 and limited yourself to 10% risk, you could lose
a maximum of $3000 per trade. With profits increasing your account to $100,000, you can
now lose $10,000 per trade. Worse yet, flushed with success you are more prone to break
your rules and “wait a day”, when you should have been stopped out.
Reviewing my records, I found that some of my largest losses have come from my
smallest positions. After making large profits, I let these small positions run into
extremely large losses because I was overconfident.

BALANCE
Trading commodities is a game of psychology. It is a game of balance. Emotional
extremes create an imbalance. In your elation at being successful, you will make mistakes
of greed. In your reluctance to take a loss, you will make mistakes of fear. The
tremendous emotional release I have felt when I finally closed out a big losing position was
amazing. Fighting the market, yet knowing it was going to go against me, but wanting it to
go in my direction — pushing it, hoping for it, worrying about it. After a few days or a
few weeks of that, it felt as though the weight of the world was taken off my shoulders
when I finally took the loss.

HOPE
One of the early signs that you have made a serious mistake is when you change your
routine and begin to call your broker frequently for quotes and “reasons” for the market
to go your way. Things such as asking him to call the floor for advice, asking your broker
what he thinks you should do (even though he told you 15 minutes earlier); hoping that
some government action will bail you out. This is not commodity trading; it is hope. Hope
is the most devastating of all emotions in trading commodities because it can lull you into
complacency. You know when you find yourself hoping, that you are wrong, and should
immediately get out of the market, but it takes an unusual amount of self-discipline to take
that very large loss.

TAKE PROFITS
Tremendous amounts of money can and are being made in the commodities markets.
Profits are there for the making, but the real key to trading commodities is not making
money; it is keeping it. It is not basking in the elation of success; it is taking your profits
and looking over your shoulder.

PROFIT/LOSS CYCLE
Every experienced commodity trader has a profit/loss cycle. I know mine, and most other
professionals know theirs. Without exception every futures trader I know experiences a
cycle of success, of over-commitment, of over-confidence, followed by losses and a feeling
of failure. I have made and lost many millions of dollars and know that these 12
CARDINAL MISTAKES can be overcome through strict, unbending self-discipline, and
mechanical rules that cannot be broken.
Once aware of these mistakes, by following the rules and guidelines outlined in this
booklet, your odds of making money will be greatly increased.

1. LACK OF A GAME PLAN
I have published several advisory services over the past 8 years (1981). I have had
thousands of contacts with the trading public. I never fail to be amazed that year after
year, trade after trade, that their approach is the same. A trader who thinks a market
is about to start up will usually say something like –“I think Gold is going up to
$600. Where do you think I should buy it?” My response is usually something like,
“Well, where are you going to get out if you are wrong?” Often there is silence, or
perhaps a puzzled “Huh?” They never thought about being wrong, they never thought
about where to put their stop. My next question -- “Well, if it does go up, how and
where are you going to get out?” -- often receives the same response.
Better than 90% of the commodities traders that I have come in contact with have no
game plan. That means they do not know what to do if they are wrong and they do not
know what to do if they are right. The large paper profit they made often turns into a
large loss because they did not know where to get out.
One of the most important moves a futures trader can make is to develop a game plan
consisting of these basic guidelines.
• Know how and where you are going to enter a market.
• Know how much money you are going to risk on each and every
trade.
• Know how and where you are going to get out if you are wrong.
• Know how and where you are going to take profits if you are right.
• Know how much money you are going to make if you are right.
• Have a Safety Stop in case the market does the unexpected.
• Have an approximate idea of when a market should meet your
objectives; when it should begin to make a move, and if it has not
done so, get out!

2. LACK OF MONEY MANAGEMENT
I am constantly amazed at how few commodity traders and commodity brokers have
no concept of money management. Money management is controlling your risk
through the use of stops, while balancing your potential for loss against your potential
for profit.
Let me give you just one example of poor money management. Many commodity
traders refer to a trade that might lose them $500 if they are wrong and make them
$1500 if they are right as a three-to-one risk/reward ratio – a “decent” trade. Yet, that
is wrong because the most important aspect of a trade is not how much you are going
to lose if you are wrong, or how much you are going to make if you are right, but what
are the odds of making money, of being right. What are your odds of losing money, of
being wrong?
Good money management means you know your profit objective and the odds of being
right or wrong, and control your risk with stops. You are better off with a trade where
you might lose $1000 if you are wrong, or make $1000 if you are right, that would
work eight times out of ten, than to take a trade where you would make $1500 if you
are right and lose only $500 if you are wrong, but works only one time out of three.
Obviously, this mistake can be overcome only by developing and testing money
management concepts. An entire book could be written on money management, but
some of the basic money management concepts that I have followed and found to be
very successful over the past years are contained in an article that appeared in the
July 1981 issue of Commodities magazine, which is available on our web site.

3. FAILURE TO USE PROTECTIVE
STOP/LOSS ORDERS
This fits right in with a game plan and money management. It is the failure to use
stop/loss orders once you enter a market — not mental stops, but real stops that
cannot be removed. All too often commodity traders use mental stops because in the
past they have been stopped out and then watched the market move in their direction.
This does not invalidate the use of stops, it means their stop was in the wrong place —
they did not have a good technical stop.
When a stop/loss order that was determined before you entered the market is hit, it
means your analysis was wrong, your game plan was wrong. With a mental stop, as
soon as the market has gone through your stop price, you no longer act like a rational
human being. You are more likely to make mistakes because you are now operating on
fear and hope.
How many times have you had a mental stop and instructed your broker to call you
when the price goes through it? By the time he could call you, the market had run an
extra $500 against you. You invariably decide to hold onto the trade hoping that you
can get out on a retracement to your previous stop price. Unfortunately, it never
touches that price again and you take a large loss. Or you make the mistake of holding
the trade overnight because you hoped it would go higher the next day. But the next
day it is lower yet, and by then your loss is so large you can't “afford” to get out —
and what should have been a small loss turned into a disaster.
There is an old saying that the first loss is the smallest. It is also the easiest to take,
even though it may seem hard at the time.
The only way to overcome this mistake is to have an unbreakable rule (and the
discipline to follow it!) that stop/loss orders must be placed each and every time the
market is entered. I have found the easiest way to take a loss is to have the stop
order waiting before the open or immediately after entering the market. Do your
homework when the market is closed, and place your order before the open. Another rule to follow; under no circumstances should an initial protective stop/loss order be
changed to increase your risk, only to reduce it.

4. TAKING SMALL PROFITS AND LETTING
YOUR LOSSES RUN
A very common mistake among futures traders is taking small profits and letting
losses run. This is often the result of no game plan. After one or two losing trades,
you are very likely to take a small profit on the next trade even though that trade could
have turned into a large profit-maker that would offset all your losses. Letting your
losses run often happens to new futures traders and is not uncommon among
professional futures traders. After entering a market, you don't know where to get out.
Once you start losing money your tendency is to let your loss get larger and larger as
you hope that the market will retrace to let you break even — which of course, it
seldom does.
This mistake is overcome by using predetermined stop/loss orders to prevent your
losses from running, and following your game plan to take profits at your profit
objective.

5. OVERSTAYING YOUR POSITION
One of the most common mistakes of trading futures is overstaying your position, or
simply failing to take profits at a predetermined level. There seems to be a natural law
that the market is only going to allow one individual so much money before it starts to
take it back. Yet, it is when you have these profits, especially paper profits in your
account, that you often try to get the last nickel out of the trade.
If the market meets your price objective and you are still in the market without a close
stop/loss order, you are overstaying your position. All too often the market breaks
sharply through your “mental stop” and from that price level, you watch your paper
profits disappear before your eyes. Then you decide to hold on for a small rally, and
the market never rallies enough. It drops back to break-even, and now you really begin
hoping. Next thing you know you have a loss. Be aware that a large profit can turn
into an even larger loss.
This mistake can be overcome by the use of trailing stops raised closer to the market
as your price objective is approached, or automatically taking profits at your price
objectives.

6. AVERAGING A LOSS
This is usually a holdover from trading stocks. In futures, with five or ten percent
margin, averaging a loss can be disastrous to say the least. A typical approach is that
after you have bought a future and it drops lower, you might figure that since it was a
good buy then, it is a better buy now. You can also justify averaging down by figuring
you will have a lower average entry price and require a smaller move to break even.
Unfortunately, you will lose twice as much if the market continues against you, as it
almost always does. There are approaches that will allow you to buy a market at one price level, add on at
a lower level and add on again at even a lower level, as long as this was your
predetermined game plan before you bought the first contract. You must also have an
unmovable stop/loss order that takes you out of all contracts.
This mistake is easily overcome by having a strict rule that you never average a loss
unless your predetermined game plan called for buying the market at lower levels
with an unmovable stop/loss order to take you out of all contracts if it is hit.

7. MEETING MARGIN CALLS
Most often, meeting a margin call will only increase your loss. A margin call means
you are wrong in the market and your position should be closed out. Margin calls are
met because people do not want to admit being wrong and take a loss; because they
hope the market will eventually go in their direction. Margin calls are the result of
making one or more of the 12 CARDINAL MISTAKES such as not having a game
plan, not using stop/loss orders, overtrading or poor money management. You should
never have a margin call, much less have to meet one using the rules to overcome the
12 CARDINAL MISTAKES.

8. INCREASING YOUR COMMITMENT
WITH SUCCESS
One of the most dangerous mistakes you can make in trading commodities is to
increase your exposure, as you become more successful. Just by being successful you
will risk more dollars per trade because you have more money. But, because you have
more money (and confidence) when successful, you are also likely to take larger
percentage risks. Not surprisingly, this ruins more futures traders than a series of
small losses.
You can overcome this mistake by not allowing your percentage commitment to
increase as you realize profits and by maintaining your stop/loss discipline.

9. OVERTRADING YOUR ACCOUNT…
…Or risking too large a percentage of equity on any single trade, either with too
large a dollar risk per contract or by trading too many contracts for any single trade or
by trading too many commodities.
This also happens after a period of success when you “know” that the market is going
to do something. You are so certain that this is going to be a really big move that you
risk much more than the maximum 10% of your equity. Already emotionally out of
balance, all it takes is a couple of limit moves against you and you are bust.
To prevent this mistake from occurring, you must have a hard and fast rule that you
can risk no more than a certain percentage of your equity on any trade regardless of
how good the trade looks.

10. FAILURE TO REMOVE PROFITS FROM
YOUR ACCOUNT
It is almost a natural law that the commodities markets over a given period of time will
allow you to make only so much money and then you are going to have to start giving
some back. Yet, probably no more than 1% of all commodities traders I know have a
rule to take profits out of their account. (But, they never fail to put money into their
accounts as they meet margin calls.) Almost always, they leave profits in their
accounts and go for the “big trade” — the one that will give them a real “killing” —
and usually kills their profits.
This can be overcome by predetermining an equity level at which you remove profits
from your account.
When you make profits in the commodities markets, take some money out and put it
somewhere else. The commodities markets are not a cornucopia. You, as all
commodity traders, will move in cycles. You will make some, lose some, make some,
lose some. By taking money out of your account when you are profitable, you will not
make the mistake of losing larger amounts of money when your down cycle begins.

11. CHANGING YOUR STRATEGY DURING MARKET
HOURS
During market hours you are subject to emotional reactions of fear and greed much
more than you are when the market is closed. Have you ever noticed that when you sit
down in the quiet of the night before the trading day you can very calmly figure out
what you want to do the next day; yet, shortly after the market opens you do exactly
the opposite of what you had planned.
With rare exception, the best approach is to not change your trading strategy during
market hours unless there is an unexpected news event or market reaction.
Overcome this mistake by developing your trading strategy before the market opens
and having the discipline to not change your game plan during the day.

12. LACK OF PATIENCE
…Or trading for the excitement, not the profit.
The average life of a commodity trader is somewhere between five minutes and nine
months. Not all commodity traders trade because they want to make money. Many
trade because they want the action. Think about it -- must you have a trade a day, or
can you patiently wait for the high probability trades, even if it means standing aside
for a week or two?
For those of you who wish to learn how to make money in the commodities markets,
rest assured you can. However do not expect to make money in each and every trade.
If you concentrate on not breaking the 12 CARDINAL MISTAKES of commodities
trading, you have a greater probability of making money over a period of time.
Certainly you will have losing trades. Certainly the market will do the unexpected and
at times you will lose more than you expected; but if you steadfastly avoid making
these mistakes you must make money.
By studying the past history of a market you can isolate high probability trades and
situations that offer exceptionally large profits relative to the dollar risk. You must evaluate your own trading and determine whether you really trade to make
money, or for the action and excitement. To overcome this mistake, you must develop
patience, do your homework, and research markets for high probability trades.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.