Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I see DNA and I know man did not make it.

----------------------

You may have to revise that:

------------------------

I hate to hoist you on your own petard here Bryan, but as you stated, replicating is not the same as originating. Man did not create DNA.

Man has the ability to manipulate DNA, and probably create new DNA that has never existed before. I won't argue with you on whether this is creating DNA (humans certainly didn't create the first DNA on earth, you're right about that).

My point is, we know that intelligent agents, at least as intelligent and technologically advanced as humans, can do this. So there is no good reason, from a technological perspective, to say that intelligent agents couldn't have created the original DNA on earth.

You argue passionately that we can't know of the work of intelligent agents unless we meet the agents themselves and can study them. This is clearly wrong.

If you were able to travel to another solar system, to an Earth-like planet, and found the rusting remains of machinery unlike any you've ever seen on earth, you'd be justified in concluding that an intelligent agent made them, even though (in this story) the agents are long gone.

Nature produces incredibly complex designs on a humongous scale all the time.

Replication is not the same as origination. I thought we settled that.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.