Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 4
I see myself more as a serial adventurer. 6 months here, 6 months there...wherever there is. I like being American, but love to explore residency elsewhere too and see places like the locals do. I very much appreciate having that freedom!

Me too, especially since I am now medicare age and can take advantage of living in US part of the time.

I've been going to Costa Rica every 6 months for the last 4 years. Your best info is accessed thru Facebook "Expat" pages. Yeah, I know, you NEVER USE FACEBOOK YECK PATOOIE, but that is where you will find good current info. I guess a lot of Expats get stuck in the jungle up at the end of a road and don't have much to do.

Facebook groups (some of them that have been very useful to me):
Gringo Expats in Costa Rica—No Advertising
Costa Rica for Expats
Expatriates in Costa Rica
Expats in Costa Rica
(there are a million more for more specific locations)

Frankly, from what I think, Costa Rica full-time is for Type B personalities. I see the people that like it the most are those that are coming from rural areas in US and Canada and want to continue that lifestyle. They say 80% of Expats go home after 2 years. They also say the reason long-time expats go home is because of family or medical needs. Costa Rica has good medical and dental, but the US trumps everything for really special care needs.
Please don't ask me more about this, go to one of the Expat Facebook sights and do a search or ask there.

Did I also say I have ADHD and am Type A personality. I go to Costa Rica because of the warm water surfing and the dancing. I don't hang out with any Gringos down there. They aren't my type of people in the US, so same goes for down there. Not sure where my journey is going to take me, I retire in 2 weeks. I also have a potential traveling companion and more. She is going with me to Costa Rica for 2 weeks in August. Because she is a bit younger than me and still needs to work I might have to modify what my world traveling is going to be about. Hopefully, my retirement benefits from pension and ss and all the money I made listening to Motley Fool people will allow my new companion to not have to work.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.