Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
I seem to recall if you are self employed the maximum contribution to your IRAs would be constrained by your joint earned income, minus the Social Security and Medicare taxes that you have to pay.

Sort of. It's actually only the deductible portion of the SS and Medicare taxes you have to pay. From IRS Pub 590-A

Self-employment income. If you are self-employed (a sole proprietor or a partner), compensation is the net earnings from your trade or business (provided your personal services are a material income-producing factor) reduced by the total of:
- The deduction for contributions made on your behalf to retirement plans, and
- The deduction allowed for the deductible part of your self-employment taxes.
Compensation includes earnings from self-employment even if they aren’t subject to self-employment tax because of your religious beliefs.

Self-employment loss. If you have a net loss from self-employment, don’t subtract the loss from your salaries or wages when figuring your total compensation.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.