Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 11
I sent out a vegan t-giving card to some co-workers and friends. The card was from care-mail and it had a turkey with an axe who stated, "Do you want a piece of me". I noted a vegan t-giving could be wonderful etc...

Well two or three responses were downright violent. You would have thought I was tearing down the world order or something. Sigh, so much for cultural diversity.

I hate to say it, since I normally enjoy your posts, and obviously share many of your views (having had a nearly-vegan Thanksgiving myself) but I think "cultural diversity," in the work place especially, requires respecting others' beliefs and practices, even when they differ from their own, and your greeting may have crossed that line. I think it's one thing to mention how wonderful your vegan Thanksgiving plans are when you're discussing the holiday w/ coworkers, and explain why you're vegan if they're curious enough to ask, but sending out a card that reads as if you're trying to convert them to your point of view certainly wouldn't be acceptable in my workplace. As an analogy -- I'm not Christian, but I wouldn't be offended by a Christmas card from a coworker if it were a simple "Merry Christmas" type deal. I *would* be offended by a card that told me to "Rejoice! For our savior is born!" especially if it proceeded to detail how wonderful a life in Christ could be. I don't think people should *hide* their beliefs, but proselytizing in the workplace is bad news(whether pushing a religion, another ethical system, or even a political candidate).

JennyJean
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.