Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I seriously doubt that your husband had exactly $1,000 in expenses which he meticulously documented to the payor. Rather, it sounds like they figured his cost to be roughly $1,000 including a little something for his time and trouble and cut him a check in that amount. Such an arrangement with a nonemployee is correctly reported as nonemployee compensation on Form 1099-MISC. Your husband reports it on Schedule C along with the expenses he can document. The net is subject to Self-Employment Tax.

Thanks, Phil.

I don't have the 1099 in front of me and was the one who guesstimated its total for the purposes of asking the question here. He did fax them his receipts; they sent him a check for the exact amount. Does that information change anything in what you wrote above?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.