Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I served as one of three successor co-trustees on a trust created to protect and ultimately distribute the assets of a maiden aunt. Before we distributed the trust assets to all beneficiaries we claimed a modest trustee fee. We each declared the fee ordinary income on our income tax.

Does the IRS require an other paperwork for such a fee?


You mean, like give yourself a 1099?
No, a trust or estate is not normally engaged in a trade or business, and therefore does not have to issue them.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.