Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I should also like to say farewell Jono. I think it must be something about the looming deadline because even the Retire Early Board has been particularly hostile over the past couple of days. Most unlike them.

This will probably be close to my last post as well unless something inspires me in the next 24 hrs to either join up or write something else. Barcoo I have sent you an email about ARP if you're interested.

I have enjoyed the boards a great deal and wish everyone the best. As Judy has said I have started visiting the UK boards and would be happy to hear from people over there.

One thing I have already learned from lurking over there is that the US site does not have a monopoly on intelligent posters and that may be their undoing - the arrogance to think everyone will stay because they have a better product. The posters and their input are the product.

I have done some analysis and gladly admit I may be way off-beam on this due to my lack of information but here goes....

It has been suggested there are 5,000 posters using the boards. They have given 1,000 posters free access for a year. From some of the polls as much as 60% have said they won't pay. One presumes these people would be outside the freebies, but even if we apply it over the whole community and reduce it to 50% as people have a change of heart then we are left with 2,500 people that will leave tomorrow. My maths tells me that that leaves 1,500 people paying $29.95 which will get them 2 years service. 1,500 x $29.95 = $44,925. Less than the cost of 1 web staff member.

Was it really worth this much aggro within the community and the creation of 2 classes of posters for $45k? I think not but other's obviously think differently.

You may hear from me again when we all start receiving emails saying how much we miss you and here's a complimentary month to sample the changes we made blah, blah, blah... and I will be happy to take them up on their offer when/if it arrives. Until then

Best wishes...

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.