Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
I shouldn't reply but....

Hire an expert now, take the son-in-law with to every meeting, and pay them both. Do not put the poor non-specialist kid in the position of asking someone else in the office for answers without compensation. It's tax season, it's their livelihood, they have no time for gratuitous questions.

The IRS pubs you are reading don't even cover the general rules, much less the exceptions. Estate and trust rules are almost exclusively ruled by court cases. I did this work for 20+ years, it is very brain draining. From your posts, you made a number of mistakes which are probably too late to remedy. The expert should have been hired up front to guide you through the process. Very few CPA's specialize in this area.

Anyone that tells you to distribute the corpus on the K-1 doesn't have a clue what the real answer is. Pay an expert, let the son-in-law get experience at your expense. It's the best gift you can give your daughter. He will retire young (46 for me) and it will avoid the lawsuit after you are gone.

All the best,

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.