Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I sock away about 6k in the retirement account each year

Since we don't know your income, it's hard to say if this is sufficient. I've heard many advise that in your 20's you should be saving 10% of your annual income, and that percentage should rise as the years go by. So, perhaps by 32, it should be about 12%, or even higher.

As to whether you'll have enough to be completely independent in 20-25 years, there are so many factors involved, it's impossible to predict. But, I would be thinking about the following possible scenarios:

What would happen if you met the man/woman of your dreams?

And you decided to marry and have children?

And then you decided you needed to buy a house to house the children?

The 80K you have now wouldn't be enough to put a down-payment on a house in most areas--and consider that less than half of that is outside of your retirement account.

Even if you don't marry, etc., it never hurts to save as much as you can--by that I mean at least 15% of your gross income.

Just my 2 cents,

2old
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.