Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I sold one here in good old Texas. I needed three things:

Title: signed to say I release my interest in the asset. Its a good idea to get the buyer to sign at the same time

Bill of Sale: Does not have to be eleborate, can be hand written as long as it covers the baiscs
..... Buyer & Seller: Name, Address, ID Drivers license)
..... Description of car : Make Model Year color, VIN Mileage
..... Terms of Sale: As is in most cases. List any major defect so they cant come back at you later
..... Sales Price :
..... Both sign and date. Make photocopies of docs.

Registration Transfer: This you can get from your local DMV site. It tells the state that you you no longer own the vehicle. This is automatically taken care of when the new owner register the car but sometimes they are tardy and it is possible that they may run up tolls or parking tickets in your name. So if you are selling to a shady character , you may want to do this, however copy of your proof of sale and title get you off the hook and fix the record.
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.