Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
I sold some mutual fund shares (actually I converted them into another fund within the same brokerage)

Same thing

and now I have a 1099-B with the gross proceeds listed. Do I owe capital gains taxes on the sale/conversion of these shares?

Well, you have a capital gain or loss. Whether you owe tax depends on which it is.

If so, how do I figure my cost basis since I have had this fund since 1993 and reinvested all dividends and capital gains?

You add up everything you invested, cash and reinvested distributions. Then you split it between shares held more than a year (line 8 of Schedule D) and the rest (line 1 of Schedule D). See the Schedule D instructions and IRS Publication 564.

Besides, I thought I had already paid taxes each year on the dividends and gains, so do I get taxed again?

You did and you don't. By adding those previously taxed distributions to your basis, you reduce your capital gain on the sale.

Phil Marti
VITA Volunteer
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.