Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I sold stock at a loss, short term. At tax time will I be able to write off, short and long term gains or just short term gains against these losses?

Net your losses. Use your short term losses to offset your short term gains. Use your long term losses to offset your long term gains. If your total losses exceed 3000, you may deduct the first $3,000 of losses in the current year. Any balance is carried over to future years until it is consumed by gains, carryovers, or your demise.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.