No. of Recommendations: 3
I spoke to the FA presenter after the talk, and he said that a large number of people that came to him had quit their well-paying jobs based on the huge investment returns they were getting in the dot-com boom. They thought those returns were going to continue, so they quit their day job. Came the bust, and there were a lot of 40-50 year old professionals trying to get another similar high-paying job back.

I seriously doubt that. Most people I know kept their high-paying jobs while playing the market (and laughing at slowpokes like me). Came the bust, and huge tech layoffs, and that's how the highly-paid 40-50 YOs lost their jobs. IIRC AT&T laid off all PhDs from Bell Labs. Any tech company announcing layoffs got a temporary reprieve in the market. Who needs R&D when the stock market is melting and the CEO's options are worthless? Need to juice stock returns!
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.