Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 10
I shot off an email to AMSC regarding the article I quoted and the ensuing discussion that took place between myself, billgru and chelsibei.

I've always valued the Fool for the people and the ability to learn from others. What's important is the truth and for everyone to learn from it. Even if it means wiping yolk off one's face. Turns out I was wrong and you two are correct. Read the following response I got;

Thanks for the note Mr. Headrick. We are indeed very aware of the California situation and we're looking at how to apply our existing commercial technology -- distributed superconducting magnetic energy
storage, or D-SMES -- to the situation. D-SMES allows utilities to expand the "bandwidth" of existing lines and pump more power over existing routes before they construct new capacity. HTS cable is still pre commercial as you know, and it will be a number of years before it could address long-distance transmission requirements. But our analysis shows that the problems on the California grid are largely related to the kind of stability issues that D-SMES addresses.

If you aren't familiar with D-SMES I suggest
you visit the "Products and Solutions" section of the company's website. From the home page you can also go directly to an up-to-date case study of our Wisconsin Public Service D-SMES installation which is operating
beautifully. Between the difficult power market conditions in California and elsewhere and the maturation of our technology, we see a significant
opportunity ahead and we aim to do our best to capitalize on it.

Thanks for your interest and support.

John Howe
American Superconductor

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, February 11, 2001 2:02 PM
To: jhowe@amsuper.com
Subject: Have you seen this?

Today, Sunday Feb.11, 2001, there is a story in local paper that they ran from the AP Wire titled "Lawmakers need quick fix for power problems caused
by years of neglect." Because of copyright issues I will only reprint a small portion, as follows;

Recent events also have underscored the frailty of the transmission system, whose backbone is 26,000 miles of high-voltage lines cobbled together over the last 50 years. It's a system that continues to fall prey to severe bottlenecks that restrict the flow of electricity. Inability to move power from Southern California, for example, contributed to blackouts in Northern California last month. The southern part of the state, meanwhile, escaped outages.

Some experts say the state also needs thousands of miles of new transmission lines, an expensive fix that is certain to meet resistance from residents opposed to high-voltage lines near their neighborhoods.
Lawmakers want the state to play a larger role in the electricity business by acquiring transmission lines now owned by PG&E and Southern California Edison.

This sounds like a golden opportunity for AMSC. I'm just a shareholder but one has to wonder if AMSC hears this clarion call. Mr. Yurek extolls the virtues of how AMSC power cables could indirectly and directly address every concern listed in this news clip. More power through less cable. Reduce the need to expand the "over-head" transmission architecture into suburbia and not only avoid the need for new expensive right-of-ways but actually free them up.

Mr. Thomas L. Headrick
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.