Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I started my S-corporation 4 years ago, and started showing a profit after 2 years. As you know, the "profit" must be included as income in your personal tax return, which I am happy to do. I have myself as an an employee, use QuickBooks Payroll (the one where I prepare my own reports, etc.) and have fun. Yes, I do have to pay Unemployment to the state, but here in SC, that is terminated after the first $7,000 wages paid. I also set up a SEP-IRA. At the time this was set up, I could only contribute on behalf of the corporation for the benefit of me, as the employee, 15% of gross salary. Now it has increased, to, I believe, as much as 25%. Next year, I intend to increase my contribution to 20%.

I am sure an accountant could advise you on the "pass-through"; however, I am not sure that is legal.

Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.