No. of Recommendations: 1
I started SS at 62 because I needed the money and my unemployment was running out. Ended up taking a part time job, made too much money and had to pay back some of the SS that I had received. When I reached SSNRA they recalculated and the money I had to pay back bumped my amount up some. And it was bumped up again when DH passed away. I retired from the part time insurance job but still work the part time seasonal tax job. Between SS, the two small pensions I had to start at age 65 and my RMDs 85% of my SS is taxed on the federal level. With all of that, my income is higher now than when I was working full time. Currently age 75 and expect to live into my 90s or more based on my family genetics, health and fitness levels.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.