Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I started through this thread looking for some specific recommendations on where to invest the 3-5 year cash/equivalents. But I became caught up in all the detailed planning that many of you are making. I figured that I should drop in my 2 cents worth based on actual experience of 6 years of retirement starting at 56. My first recommendation is to split your IRA into 2, one to make penalty free pre 59.5 withdrawals. The second as an emergency in the event that you need to make an additional withdrawal after 59.5 but before your "5 years or 59.5 age whichever is later" point.
That is what I did. I started with a 7% withdrawal on IRA-1 and have made some individual withdrawals from IRA-2 subsequent to becoming 59.5.
There were some times before turning 59.5 that I wanted (notice not needed) some additional funds. The one time I needed additional funds when my wife required major surgery and I had to come up with the expenses that my insurance did not cover. In all the responses to this thread I didn't see anyone mention planning for this event.
I have some other experiences relating to GNMA, FHMA etc. which are the subject of another post.
Rudy
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.