Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 9
I stated:

Set your stops!!!.....SET YOUR STOPS!!!!

...and horacekgl replied:

Let's see if I understand this. You rode your portfolio and the market down to yesterday. Now after a good UP day you're going to set stops? Please.

Sorry folks, I do not wish to be misunderstood about trying to share hard lessons learned.
You are correct, Horace, I have rode some of my investments into the dirt, I'm just trying not to repeat past mistakes.
After todays rally, I'm now holding three reasonably large winners: NTAP bought @ 60, SDLI bought @ 185 and QCOM (my largest holding, with entries between 60 and 108) cost basis around 78.
I don't plan on riding these back into losses.
So yes, if NTAP drops to around 75...goodby
If SDLI drops below 120 or so, I'm taking 1/2 off the table.
If my QCOM dips again to the mid-eighties, I plan on reducing my exposure to further downside risk but not necessarily selling my entire holding.

Now, if the market continues to rise, I plan on bringing my exit points up to a decent percentage of that unrealized gain with these 3 and later (hopefully) with others I own.
I may not know much, but for my own individual sanity, I gotta start learning when to take some chips off the table.
I want to "lock in" some gain for a change; that doesn't mean that I will abandon all of my cores.
......Now if only I did this with CREE.

Living and learning,
WildWolf2
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.