Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
I still do my own taxes by hand with paper tax forms because I am too cheap to pay for tax preparation software (unless anybody can tell me whether there is any reliable software out there for free).

You can get nice looking forms by using the IRS' pdf fill-in forms, which you can download for free.

You can get nice-looking forms that do the arithmetic for the federal side only from TaxAct at, and also get a free federal e-file. If you want to do a state return as well, you have to pay. You can use the free federal return as a starting point to paper file your state return.

There is a free download for H&R Block's TaxCut. The free version only covers federal filing. You pay for a state return or to e-file.

If you use any of the free stuff that isn't limited to low-income individuals, you still have the record keeping issues.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.