Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 5
I still found the words of that pastor to be very...cutting. He cut through the BS and got down to it. The Church's priorities not lining up with scripture, nor with the (perhaps scripture inspired?) priorities of young people.

The church's priorities don't line up with some scripture.

Most of scripture has nothing to do with social justice and helping the poor. Scripture condones slavery. Scripture condones and sometimes orders discrimination based on race, gender, sexual orientation and disabilities.

I've come to the conclusion that for most churches, social justice issues are at best peripheral to the overall mission. There are some churches where social justice issues do take center stage, but the ones I know of are not growing and full of young people. They are usually old mainline churches in severe decline.

Here's another article along similar lines:
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/church-380418-young-peopl...

Last year Kinnaman wrote a book titled "You Lost Me" about young people leaving the church.

They left, Kinnaman found, not because of difficult church teachings or the lure of secular culture. Instead, young people described their churches as fear-based, risk-averse, isolated, shallow, antagonistic to science, simplistic and judgmental about sexuality, and inhospitable to questions or doubt.

One of young people's most common complaints: "Christianity in today's society no longer looks like Jesus."

I'm not sure they know what Jesus looks like. (I'm not sure that anyone does, but that's a different subject). The church doesn't look like what they think it should, but even if it did, would they go?
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.