No. of Recommendations: 50
I still just don't get this hate of Bush. It is one thing to adamantly disagree and engage in discourse to articulate your disagreement, it is quite another to develop such vile and hatred as to personally attack the person.

As a lawyer I have learned that the moment you start to personally attack your opposition, you have lost the case. The best way to prevail is to be professional, courteous, respectful, and articulate a better case.

I think this lack of civil discourse has, quite frankly, turned off more and more people to whatever message they are trying to get out in opposition. I really don't know what their message is anymore other than Bush is foolish;) (sorry micmaz, you got to it first).

But I think this is the truth and it is a shame that this has become the level of political discourse.

There was a high level of Clinton hatred as well on the far right, but I'll tell you, most of us articulated our reasons in opposition. And don't bring up Monica.

You know what Bill Clinton did, he was being sued for sexual harassment as an employer. There was a pattern of egregious sexually harassing, and some would say even criminal treatment of women, all relevant to this case. Bill Clinton, chief law enforcement officer in this country, not only committed perjury, he suborned it. He wrote a false affidavit for Monica and told her to submit it.

I'm sorry, but if that is nothing material to the president of the United States, then we might as well be a banana republic. It was not about sex, it was about this.

Articulate your opposition in civil discourse and you may win followers instead of just preaching to the choir.

Tinker
And yes, I think the right result occurred. Clinton was sanctioned, his bar license removed, and then allowed to finish his term. But to say it was just about "sex" is not genuous at all. Anymore than having to use the F word about Bush, when you do not even know the man. You may disagree with his policies, but that does not make the person you disagree with the devil.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.