Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I suggest you check further into the 401k contribution situation. When I was in a similar position upon leaving a company, I was able to request from HR that a lump sum contribution (up to the annual max) be taken from my final paycheck, which helped with the tax bite. Typically, adjustments to the 401k contributions can be made throughout the year (although sometimes restricted to only one or two changes).

You may also suggest that your friend coordinate with HR/payroll as to how they will calculate withholdings for the final paycheck. Sometimes they withhold a much greater amount (because of the inflated income level), and then you end up with a large refund; it just depends on whether they make an adjustmetn or not. Or, in your friends case, it may need to be adjusted (due to higher than normal income) to ensure that enough tax is withheld to avoid the need for an estimated tax payment later in the year. In either case, coordinating with payroll now to work out the final paperwork before everything is processed is recommended.

Making Trax
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.