Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I supported my brother this past year, but his W2s came in and he has made just over $2800, which is the limit for claiming as a dependent, correct? If so, is there any way I can still claim him legally?
I have provided way more than 50% of housing, food, and other costs.

I'm not 100% sure if I'm right on this one or not, but I think so (I really wish TMF didn't lay off those smart people). I believe you can claim him as a dependent as long as he does not claim himself as a dependent on his return.

I'm fairly certain that's correct. You see, only person can claim this. You are both eligible, so whoever can get the greatest tax advantage should be the one to do it. You just have to make sure that both of you don't claim him or you'll both probably get letters and stuff.

Good luck,
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.