Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I suppose you mean this FAQ:

http://www.fool.com/school/taxes/2000/taxes000107.htm

(Took me a few minutes to find it. I think things are not particularly easy to find on the Fool site but that's another gripe, and I don't like to gripe much.)

Actually I did read this article back in Oct/November and I think it can be made clearer by using the terminology in my original post: ALL CAPITAL GAINS CAN BE OFFSET BY ALL CAPITAL LOSSES IN A YEAR. THERE IS NO 3,000 MAXIMUM RULE HERE. EXAMPLE: A MILLI0N DOLLARS IN GAINS CAN BE OFFSET BE A MILLION DOLLARS IN LOSSES. NO TAXES.

They jump right into an exmplae using numbers smaller than 3,000 and then confuse the issue by talking about the $3,000 dollar rule (which is good to mention but they should make it more clear).

I have a new question along these lines. Can you carry forward Capital Losses to offset future Capital Gains (not just $3,000 of oddinary income).

Thanks for listening.

Brett Husted
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.