Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I suspect it would be something aftermarket. Honda would not install a switch with a wire visible. All wiring would be carefully hidden and contained.

Honda OEM alarms in this era were sold via the parts counter and installed after that fact. That included a momentary switch (drilled and installed under the steering column) that could be used along with the key to bypass the alarm in case of a malfunction, or more likely a dead battery in the alarm key fob.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
My wild guess is an alarm system access switch.. Years back, I vaguely a code could temporarily allow startup until a new key could be recoded.. That was in a '96 where the original dealer, 100 miles away, had all vehicles on their lot equipped with an alarm system... We found the original keys the next day, but had to be towed to our local dealer that evening to get it going..
No. of Recommendations: 3
I suspect it would be something aftermarket. Honda would not install a switch with a wire visible. All wiring would be carefully hidden and contained.

While there is no way of knowing without tracing the wires, if you forced me to take a wild guess I would go with some sort of kill switch that would prevent the car from running (or perhaps starting) when flipped. It is a fairly common DIY theft deterrent. The switch is usually somewhat hidden but remaining within easy reach while sitting in the driver's seat.

--Peter
No. of Recommendations: 0
My 06 Hondas and 01 Nissan all have switch on the dashboard and a small plug hole. It’s to plug our music player through the radio. Gotta have tunes.
No. of Recommendations: 1

Honda OEM alarms in this era were sold via the parts counter and installed after that fact. That included a momentary switch (drilled and installed under the steering column) that could be used along with the key to bypass the alarm in case of a malfunction, or more likely a dead battery in the alarm key fob.