Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 17
I tend to agree with yeahitsme. I don't know Whitney personally. I have seen some his public investing positions and know that he shut down his investment fund because of "sustained underperformance."

He greatly outperformed in the early 2000s, collected a bunch of capital and then had extreme underperformance. For whatever reason I had trouble finding a complete comparison of his returns over the life of the fund, but since most investor money came in after his outperformance, I think it is safe to say that he lost his investors a ton of money relative to the S&P 500. Mr. Tilson said the underperformance made him miserable, but I think that we should save our sympathy for his investors.

After failing in the hedge fund business, Mr. Tilson then started an investor education endeavor. It wasn't clear to me why he should be qualified to do so.

Mr. Tilson may be a wonderful person, but I don't know. I am of the opinion that a person is much more than their professional career or achievements and character, among other things, is much more important than career achievements. However, as a professional money manager, Mr. Tilson appears to be an abject failure. If I understand correctly, on average, it would have been much better for his investors if he spent his time at the pool and never opened up a fund. Despite the lack of contribution to his investor's bottom line, Mr. Tilson himself is wealthy. It happens.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.