Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 6
I tend to tell jokes that make fun of races and sexual orientations with many of my high school friends, but we all have friends that cover those races and sexual orientations so we certainly do not mean our jokes to be hateful.

Upon arriving here at the University of California, Santa Barbara I met a guy and I told him some of those jokes after a few weeks of knowing him. I even played a song by Stephen Lynch called Special Olympics and If I Were Gay for him. He took offense and we ended up having a very long winded conversation about how I am a closet racist.

My question becomes though, who really is more racist, me or him? The most obvious answer is me because I tell the jokes, but is that truly the correct answer? Maybe he is more racist because he is so terrified of the races and/or sexual orientations to tell a joke that may be funny despite its racist nature. There are racist jokes out there that are funny. There are homosexual jokes out there that are funny. The people behind those jokes have nothing to do with it, it is usually merely a stereotype that is humerous to some (and not to others of course). Not everybody has the same sense of humor, but just because I find a good joke based on race funny does not mean I am a racist.

Racism is based on hate, not humor.

FT
...who misses his friends who enjoyed a good stereotype racist joke every now and then...
Print the post  

Announcements

HURL Rules
Relax, laugh and Enjoy Foolishly
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.