Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 11
I think all guns should be banned. Australia, the UK, and many other nations do it just fine. Free nations, not totalitarian regimes.....

The argument that "banning guns won't work" is specious. Banning murder doesn't prevent murder. Doesn't mean we should legalize it.

First of all, you are incorrect. Australia and the UK DO NOT, in fact, ban all guns. (In fact, with a quick look, I could only find 2 countries that COMPLETELY ban all guns: North Korea and Eritrea. Other countries, like China and Singapore, restrict them highly). In Australia, you have to have a license for a gun, and you have to show a valid reason for owning a gun. You can't be a felon or similar. I think they also have a limit on the number of guns you can own. Military-type guns are highly restricted.

In the UK, it's similar. People are allowed to own sporting guns for hunting, etc. I think Ireland and Scotland are little more liberal about ownership.

This is what is aggravating about the gun debate. There apparently isn't a middle ground. And I, personally, am a middle ground kind of person. I don't think "all guns should be banned." There are valid reasons for people to own guns. Living out in the country, a gun is often needed to address pests--snakes, varmints of a variety of sorts, etc. I'm generally anti-hunting, but some people hunt for food and hunt responsibly. I don't oppose a gun for that. My dad was an avid shooter--skeet, trap and sporting clays. I used to go with him--it's not my thing, but shooting guns for sport can be fun. Heck, it's even in the Olympics. I live in a high crime city, but in a low crime area. I've never felt the need to own a gun for self-protection, but I understand why some would.

I absolutely believe that every gun owner should prevent anyone from accessing their gun, and in most cases should be held legally liable if that happens.

I think guns should have trigger locks. We have the technology.

I think guns should be registered, that there should be a limit on the number of guns a single person can own, and some guns are just not appropriate for private ownership (assault style).

Having legal gun ownership for valid reasons is NOT "legalizing murder." Sheesh. My only point is that humans kill each other. They shouldn't, but they do. Guns make it VERY EASY to kill each other, and to kill a lot of people at the same time. Guns, therefore, should be highly regulated. But highly regulating or even banning guns completely is not going to prevent people from ever killing each other again.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.